Saturday, August 8, 2009

Pure, Virtuous, True, Lovely - Think on these things

The writer of Proverbs says 'get wisdom' 'knowledge', 'understanding', but sometimes we have to find a focus point and stop looking for the unknowns. To think about what is true, what can be known for sure, can give us hope when our feet are unsteady, when we are unsure of ourselves. To think on virtuous things helps us to guide our thoughts away from time-wasters, lifts our thoughts out of the dirt & skyward. To think on that which is pure is to sift out the waste, and find the reward in the effort - the beauty that is seen in simplicity, simple goodness.
When the world is spinning, this encourages me. I am encouraged when I have a thought that surfaces, without a reminder from a sticky note, - a thought that came from within that says I've internalized that which is good. And I think on it.

'Create in me a clean heart, oh God', that I may be what you would have me to be. That I may be no longer a part of the problem, but a part of the solution.

Putting 2 hands to work in the same direction, is stronger than 2 hands working on 2 different efforts. Especially when the efforts are moving you in different directions. 'If I had 2 hands...' have you heard this song.
My friend Leslie, put me to remember the book by Elizabeth George, Loving God with All Your Mind. A good book if you have faith, but are asking 'Lord, help my unbelief'. I know I've gained alot this week.

Be blessed by checking out other blogs that are working to (In) Courage others in their faith.
(24) Thankful also for a Gratitude Community that keeps counting gifts, reminding me to be thankful.

2 comments:

Holley - (in)courage said...

Laura, my favorite phrase of yours--"lifts our thoughts out of the dirt & skyward." I imagine a girl, scuffing the toe of her shoe in dust then something catches her attention and she suddenly looks up to see again there is a big, beautiful world out there. Your words did this for my heart just now and I thank you for them!

{oc cottage} said...

A thought with out a sticky note....I just love that!

m ^..^

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...