Monday, June 9, 2008

Priorities

Priorities come to the forefront, if you let them. I spend my day trying to carve out a few minutes for what I really enjoy, but priorities seem to bubble to the top. With gas prices so high, I've been doing alot of thinking about where I shop. I clicked on http://www.moneysavingmom.com/ today where I found endless ideas for saving the almighty $. I actually ran into my friend Meg ( http://theinsatiablereader.blogspot.com/ ) at CVS where she and I were grabbing the same bargains that generate Extra Care Bucks (ECB's). We were both on our way to swim lessons, and both running late, I might add, but we got the bargain! We're both newbies at this CVS thing. I did it a while back before I had 2 children, but the multiple store thing just didn't work for me. Or at least I wasn't using it. I really went where my son's soy formula was sold. I followed the deals there, but really find when you can keep your driving down, it's worth it to go to 2 or more stores. I'm following money saving Mom's advice tho, and I'm going to give it 3 months. I'm going to track my receipts, which isn't difficult to do, and keep track of grocery spending. I think I've already done well. I'm pleased.
Back to priorities, I made a list of things that folks request from me and/or things I share with others. I'm not a recipe guru, but occasionally I have brought a dish to a party where the plate was licked clean. I read voraciously-- now there's a name for a blog--and I love to share books, or at least the title. I'm going to give the on-line swap I've seen a try... I'll have to find that link later, as my boy's are falling asleep while watching baseball, & I've got to get them in bed.
One thing I plan on sharing, from my list in the other room (HA) is some secular book titles and how I regularly read and how I mention God as we go. It's a natural thing around here. I teach little kids in Bible class, specifically 3's & 4's. I love it. I've taught this age for over 12 years. And now I actually have one of my own using material I've created. It's a real litmus test for how effective the stuff you've been using really is. I remember one of the mother's of one of my students 4 year old Nicholas, tell me she kept a waste basket in the car for all the stuff that came home from church. She is a teacher and a brilliant person I respect. I was stunned. But to tell you the truth, there are times I really think the glue and construction paper go to waste. Especially on boys, but that's another day. Finding a balance is where it's at.
I purchased a book today at Barnes & Noble http://barnesandnoble.com for my DH Eric, about Canoeing in Louisana. He purchased a canoe the week after Mother's Day, and we've been heading out to the lakes ever since. Alligator's you say? Yeah, me too. There's a regular debate about whether you can survive a canoe trip in the presence of a gator. But we've been in tame water so far. I'm much more prayerful, since our boy's have become old enough to fit in a life jacket. My husband is a dilligent father who is determined not to produce vidiots. Remember that word? When we married, he didn't own a TV. He's not opposed, just an active person. He also knew what kind of temptations are brought into the home. We limit our TV, to after 8:30, when kids are in bed (but why is Jack still watching baseball?), but occasional movie is selected and enjoyed during our opressive heat during the day. Actually Jack's library card is working overtime on media. It's just soooo hot in Louisiana. Did you notice how I completely didn't discuss my addiction to television......... so many blogs, so little time.
One of these times I will figure out how to code in the links behind the names & titles of websites, but you get the idea. I'm working on little sleep.
I hope you like the new format, I love the green, and the dots were groovy. I used to think blue was my favorite color, but it's not. It's green. All shades.. green, green, green.
Photo's to come, one of my ideas of how I used Eric Carle's The Hungry Caterpillar in Bible class a few weeks ago. And at home. See Deuteronomy 5 & 6 -- where is your 'doorpost'?
2 boys and one husband fast asleep- must put everyone to bed.
Sweet dreams everyone-

No comments:

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...